Tuesday, April 5, 2011

my apologies for wasting your time

This is my first blog post. I don't know why I have a blog. Maybe I'm starving for your attention and approval. If anyone has any tips, you can give them to me.

If you can think of any quality that is bad or undesirable, you can attribute that quality to me. If you read my posts, I'm sure you can find these attributes.

I really hope this blog improves. I hope I can think of some interesting things to do with it. Recently I was thinking about how we act differently in the presence of various people. It made me wonder "who am I, really?" I have wondered if anyone really knows me. My wife probably comes the closest to knowing me. I like to be friendly, but keep my distance. At least, that is how I perceive myself.

I'll try not to write this blog as though I'm talking to any one particular person. But I don't think I'll be able to write it as "me" though. I will surely be aware of a potential audience or readership. Take everything I say with a grain of salt, and beware. I wouldn't trust me if I met myself. I don't know what I will write about on this blog. It may be all about running. I'm sure it will be self-centered.

So far in 2011 I've run some races.
These ones:

January 1 - Charlotte Running Club New Years 5K
This was a good chance to see a lot of friends from the club. The club has been really good for the Charlotte running community. I'm glad they let me be a part of it. On this day I ran 19:20. I guess it was an alright time, but I wasn't really happy. I wanted to go faster.

January 15 - Charleston Marathon
My wife and I got a sweet offer to go down and help pace the inaugural Charleston Marathon. Actually, I paced the marathon and Jinnie competed and ran a great half marathon. We got two free nights in a pretty nice hotel, courtesy of TrySports. I love TrySports. Everyone should shop there. My friend Brian didn't get a hotel. I think he slept in someone's basement or something. I kind of felt bad for him, but he seemed to have a good weekend anyway. As for the race, my task was to pace the 3:30 group. It was pretty cool. I kept the correct pace. Nobody ran with me. Maybe I wasn't a good leader, I'm not sure.

February 5 - Alyce Guettler Hunger Run 5K
This race was in Rock Hill. I decided to run it late in the week. I saw that my friend Bobby was going to be there. We usually run similar times for a 5K, and I thought one of us might win this smaller race. So I signed up. It was really cheap. I think I got in for 10 dollars, minus a t-shirt. At the race, a group of 4 or 5 went out ahead. But I ran a steady race and got the lead prior to the 2 mile mark. I was fortunate to get a rare win. For my effort, I got a small winner's trophy and a mug. Also I snagged a t-shirt. It always feels good to win. I'm very selfish.

February 26 - Mount Mitchell Challenge 40 Miler
This was my longest run ever. It's awesome, you might want to try it sometime. Jinnie didn't travel to this race with me, so I stayed in the cheap Super 8 motel in Black Mountain. I got a pretty good deal, but not as good as the time I got a 20 dollar deal on Priceline at Myrtle Beach. That place was a dump though. And before I was married. The weather for Mount Mitchell was incredible. The heavy snows of a few weeks prior were gone, for the most part. Only a little snow and ice near the tip-top of Mount Mitchell. I didn't carry along my traction devices for the race, and luckily it paid off. Normal shoes served me well, as I was able to carefully dodge the ice rink near the summit. The race took me 7 hours and 40 minutes. Next year I hope to improve. I could have cut a lot of time at the aid stations. Learning.

March 12 - Crowders Mountain 50K
Did I mention that I'm running a marathon or ultra-marathon every month in 2011? (hopefully) This was my March run. A loosely organized group of fewer than 15 folks showed up to do an out-and-back from the Linwood parking area down to the Kings Mountain Parks in South Carolina. I didn't run as fast as last year at Crowders. It was a lot of fun. I was especially proud of Jinnie running a super strong 20 miles with me. Then she waited for me at the finish. I thought about cutting the run short. The steps up to the top of Crowders were awful. But I'm glad I finished what I started.

March 19 - Shamrock 4 Miler
This is the first race of the Run For Your Life Grand Prix. I felt worn out all week after Crowders. My goal was to run respectably at Shamrock only 7 days later. I think I accomplished that. Some may disagree. Definitely, I could train harder. But I'm comfortable with my running routine. Maybe someday I will go "all in". Maybe I'm scared to do that. Anyway, I would have loved to run 6:00 pace. But I missed it, and finished the 4 Miler in 24:17. At least it was faster than last year's Shamrock race.

March 26 - Charlotte Running Club World Record 100 x 5K
This was our effort to set the world record for 100 people running consecutive 5K's, on a track. It was a relay race. We smashed the record. My stated goal was to run 18:40. But I gutted out 18:39.1. I could go on and on and on about what a great experience this was. We ran in the rain. We ran in cold. We ran at night. We ran and ran and ran. I'm glad that Ben convinced me to participate. Kudos to all in the Charlotte Running Club.

April 1 - April Fools Day 5K
This is an annual crazy race in Albemarle. Peter at Vac & Dash is a great dude. I like to run in his races when I can. If you can't shop at TrySports, shop at Vac & Dash. I do both. I hoped that I might win. When I didn't see Bill, I thought I might have a shot. But alas, 'twas not to be. Second place, but I got a huge bowling trophy. And I went through a bouncy obstacle course at the finish. And no Stans were harmed by water balloon throwing Stanly County kids during the completion of this race. Kids in Stanly County just can't thrown straight. For the second year in a row, they all missed me. I must be fast.

I don't want to go back and edit much of what I write here, so don't expect anything impressive.

No comments: