Monday, April 11, 2011

7 more days


Well, a week from now, the Boston Marathon will be over. I have decided that I will be happy to finish in under 3 hours. I could have trained harder...... but that always seems to be the case. For several weeks, I was running some decent speed workouts. Also, I had good overall mileage, with over 200 miles in a month at one point. But lately I've not been feeling great during my runs. I've laid off the speed work as well, as I try to just get comfortable running again. I figure the best thing at this point is to get to the starting line in Hopkinton as healthy and rested as possible.

But it's not as if I have no confidence at all. My race results in short races this year are actually better than at this time last year. Also, I've completed a marathon, a 50K, and a 40 Miler in the first three months of this year. I was out on the courses for nearly 17 and a half hours combined in those 3 events. So obviously, flat-out speed was not a goal then; but now it is.
So, the question is, can I combine the "decent" speed I've shown in short races, and the endurance that I have exhibited in pacing a marathon and finishing two ultra mountain runs???

Tune in next Monday to find out. I'm actually quite curious myself.

- I want to give a big shout-out to the Crazy Legs. These guys finished in 3rd place overall at this past weekend's Palmetto 200+ Mile Relay, from Columbia to Folly Beach, SC.
Crazy Legs was kind enough to let Jinnie and I be on their Blue Ridge Relay team last September, and we also enjoy occasionally running their "beer run" on Sunday evenings.
A few months ago, I half-committed to being a part of the Crazy Legs Palmetto team. But then I realized that it was a week before Boston, and I decided not to risk it. They obviously got a stellar team together though, and improved their time from the 2010 Palmetto race by a couple hours.
I'm eagerly anticipating another Blue Ridge Relay this September with Crazy Legs.

- One of my current goals is to use more of the loose change that gathers in my vehicles and my home. Also, I am ready to advocate for the abolition of all denominations of coinage except the quarter. Round all prices on all items to a round dollar or .25, .50, or .75. This is my crusade.

- I hear there may be a 50 Mile event circling around the Linville Gorge in December, put on by the Brown Mountain Running Club. Possibly about the time of year that the Thunder Road Marathon has vacated. Now this is intriguing to me.
: )

- I want to give a blanket "atta boy!" and "atta girl!" to everyone I know who may have done well or not so well at any running competition lately. There's just too many to list. So there ya go, consider yourself mentioned in Stan's blog.

No comments: